The following WILL cause a delay in the issuance of Firearms Permits:
- If you have any criminal history, your application process will take significantly longer while we verify the disposition(s) of those events.
- If you do not have a criminal history and our criminal history check indicates that you may have a criminal record, the process will take longer while the Firearms Unit Staff verifies that the criminal history does not belong to you.
- If the fee marked on the application is not equal to the money order amount submitted, there will be a delay.
- If medical records or work documentation required have not been submitted, there will be a delay.
- If the application is incomplete or has invalid data, the process will be delayed.
- If you submitted two or more applications in belief that it would expedite the process, there will be a delay. Submitting multiple applications prevents our database from linking your fingerprints to the proper application.
- If the application has not been transmitted by the Local Law Enforcement Agency you went through, the Indiana State Police Department does not have the application and will not be able to process it until it is transmitted.
The Indiana State Police Department cannot account for every circumstance that may cause a delay in the application process. The above instances are some of the major reasons that cause a delay.