Suggestions & Reminders for Parents
- Hold your baby close so that that he/she can see your face.
- Make eye contact often.
- Use good lighting. If the room is too dark or too bright, your baby will have trouble seeing your face.
- Keep the room as quiet as possible. Turn off the TV, dishwasher, vacuum, etc. when you want your baby’s attention.
- Don’t shout. Talk to your baby as you would any other child.
- Imitate the sounds that your baby makes. When he/she makes noises, respond with a smile.
- Make sure to talk and laugh with your baby often.
- Enjoy each moment of communication with your baby.
You are already building communication skills You will need to make decisions about formal communication opportunities for your baby later. Right now, you can begin developing his/her communication with touch, vision, gesture and lots of love.