Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Diabetes in Indiana Quick Facts (2009, BRFSS)
- Over 450,000 Indiana adults (9.3%) have been diagnosed with diabetes.
- An additional 139,600 Indiana adults (2.9%) are estimated to have undiagnosed diabetes.
- 18.4% of Hoosier adults ages 55-64 and 22.3% of adults 65 years of age and older have diagnosed diabetes.
- 25.9% of U.S. adults are estimated to be pre-diabetic, a condition involving impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose, which is associated with increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
- In 2009 due to diabetes, Hoosiers incurred approximately $3.9 billion in excess direct health care costs.
For more information - See the Data & Statistics Page