History/Mission of Indiana Veterans' Home
Following the Civil War, there was a great unmet need to provide care for Indiana's veterans who had incurred injuries and/or chronic diseases during the War.
In 1886, the current site for a State Soldiers' Home was suggested at the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) encampment by Commander D.N. Foster.
In 1892, the Grand Army of the Republic passed a resolution urging establishment of the State Home, and Tippecanoe County requested that it be the location of the new Home. In 1895, the General Assembly appropriated $75,000 to fund the Soldiers' Home, to provide care for eligible beneficiaries who were disabled and/or destitute.
The Indiana State Soldiers' Home, located in Tippecanoe County near West Lafayette, accepted its first patient in February 1896. The Home was officially dedicated on July 4, 1896. It was renamed the Indiana Veterans' Home in 1976.
The Veterans' Home is a licensed long-term care facility (nursing home) operated by the Indiana State Department of Health, not by the Veterans Benefits Administration with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Veterans Benefits Administration does provide substantial grant funding and hospital services for the Indiana Veterans' Home.
The Veterans' Home provides modern comprehensive health care, residential (assisted) care, and independent living/residential services.
The Home has on staff:
- Two full-time physicians;
- One pharmacy director and two full-time clinical pharmacists;
- Two full-time respiratory therapists;
- Part-time dentists
- One part-time optometrist; and
- One part-time podiatrist
In addition, the Veterans' Home offers several hours of physical and occupational therapy, speech pathology and audiology, and limited hours of medical consultants in areas like pulmonology, immunology, rehabilitation medicine, infectious disease, and internal medicine. It also provides nursing, social, dietary and other important services.
Indiana Veterans' Home
3851 N. River Road
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Phone Number (765) 463-1502