In 1865, Governor Oliver Morton, established the Soldier's and Seamen's Home, a home for Civil War Veterans. Later Mr. George Merritt expressed his concern for children who were destitute of care, education and maintenance, and who were deemed to be educable. In 1867 the Home became known as the Soldiers' & Sailors' Orphanage. During the 1930's, the Home was given its current name, Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home (ISSCH).
Once the state's veteran orphanage for veterans' families, the Home now serves Indiana youth in need of education and comprehensive care. Children between the ages of three and eighteen are considered for admission.