- Fever blisters and cold sores are herpetic lesions. Wear gloves when working around them. Instruct patient to keep hands away from eyes, also to wash hands often.
- Apply Orabase with benzocaine* in moderate amount for temporary relief of canker sores (aphthous ulcers). This is available as an over the counter medication.
- Spicy and acidic foods should be avoided
- Aspirin or aspirin substitute may be given orally with water for pain or fever in dosages according to weight and age. (Aspirin placed directly on an affected area will cause chemical burn to the tissue.)
- Recommend to parent that they consult a dentist if pain or fever persists. Blisters or sores will last 7-10 days.
- Avoid sun or wind exposure and direct contact with others, i.e., kissing.
See medications notes under Dental First Aid Supplies