Farmers participating in the Indiana On-Farm Network® gain access to a variety of tools to benefit their bottom line and the environment by improving nitrogen management. These tools help assess nitrogen status and identify opportunities to improve efficiency and profit.
The OFN uses a variety of tools to assess nitrogen status and identify opportunities to improve efficiency and profit.
- Corn Stalk Nitrate Test (CSNT): Fall test to determine nitrogen use efficiency for the year.
- Aerial Imagery: Visual observation of fields to assess variability, nitrogen deficiency, and value of CSNT as an assessment tool.
- Replicated Strip Trials: Comparison of different rates, form, timing, and placement of nitrogen to assess efficiency and impact on yield.
Requirements for Participation
- Minimum of 20 acre field
- Access to precision farming technologies (GPS, variable rate, yield mapping, etc.)
- Commitment to follow protocols
- Willingness to share ideas within a group setting
For more information about the Indiana On-Farm Network®, or to participate in the program, contact:
Division of Soil Conservation
Indiana State Department of Agriculture
One North Capitol Avenue, Suite 600
Indianapolis, IN 46204