About Indiana Agriculture
Indiana agriculture - By the numbers
- $31.2 billion: Total value of sales for all Indiana agriculture-related products (estimated)
- $9.9 billion: Total value of agriculture products sold in Indiana
- Indiana ranks 11th in the nation in agricultural sales
- $4.6 billion: Indiana’s agricultural exports
- 446 million: Number of pounds of shelled popcorn produced
- 14.7 million: Acres of farmland cultivated by Indiana's farming operations
- 1 million: Number of acres of cover crops planted in 2016
- 107,500: Jobs supported by Indiana agriculture
- 37,000: Number of acres of vegetables harvested for sale
- 56,800 Number of farming operations in Indiana
- 259: Average size of an Indiana farm (in acres)
- 97 percent: Indiana's farms are family-owned
- 83 percent: Land in Indiana that is farms, forests and woodland
Top 5 National Rankings
- Indiana ranks 1st in commercial duck production, wood office furniture and kitchen cabinet manufacturing.
- Indiana ranks 2nd in popcorn production, ice cream production, egg layers inventory, and cropland planted with a cover crop.
- Indiana ranks 3rd in spearmint, tomatoes for processing, and total eggs produced.
- Indiana ranks 4th in soybeans, turkeys raised, and peppermint.
- Indiana ranks 5th in corn (for grain), watermelon and hog production.
Source: USDA NASS
Top 5 Indiana commodities (by value of sales)
- $3.16 billion: Corn
- $2.84 billion: Soybeans
- $1.38 billion: Poultry and eggs
- $1.15 billion: Meat animals
- $687 million: Dairy
Note: These five commodity groups accounted for almost 93 percent of the 2016 cash receipts. Source: USDA NASS