As identified in Article 13.1 of the Indiana Code, the Office of Technology (IOT) is required to:
- Establish the standards for the technology infrastructure of the state.
- Focus state information technology services to improve service levels to citizens and lower the costs of providing information technology services.
- Bring the best and most appropriate technology solutions to bear on state technology applications.
- Improve and expand government services provided electronically.
- Provide for the technology and procedures for the state to do business with the greatest security possible.
To provide cost-effective, secure, consistent, reliable enterprise-technology services to our partner agencies so that they can better serve our mutual customer, the Hoosier taxpayer.
IOT was created in 2005 as part of an effort to consolidate IT organizations across Indiana state government.135 PCN’s were eliminated due to this consolidation. The state saved $13.9 million saved annually due to remote service maintenance efficiencies, personnel efficiencies, software licensing consolidation and cost avoidance.
(See complete IOT Services Catalog.)
- Application Development: Mobile & Web development, Forefront Identity Manager, Scripting/Automation, BizTalk.
- BMV Services: BMV infrastructure and BMV unique application support.
- Customer Service: HelpDesk for hardware and software issues for desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, network devices. User security.
- Data Center Operations: 24x7 Data Center management; Mainframe production, transactions and storage support.
- Data Center Services: Physical and virtual server support and storage services.
- Database Services: Database hosting and administration.
- Field Operations: PC, printer, network and remote-server support to all state agencies. Hardware break/fix for all IOT-supported equipment
- FSSA-DFR Support: FSSA-DFR infrastructure and unique application support.
- GMIS: PeopleSoft Financials and Human Resources, and Hyperion Budget Planning.
- GIS Services: ArcGIS Server access, GIS data storage/backup, ArcSDE DB hosting.
- IN.Gov: Web portal services.
- Network Maintenance: Voice services and Layer 2 network support.
- Network Management: Cellular phone services, data network connectivity, adds, moves, changes. VPN remote access.
- Desktop/PC Refresh:Desktop/laptop support, PC refresh process.
- Project Success Center: Professionalize project management and partner with IOT's customers.
- Security: Disaster Recovery, infrastructure security, enterprise information security policy and strategy.
- Server Administration: Server infrastructure support.
- Service Management: Implement ITIL best practices for incident, problem, service level, change and customer satisfaction management.
- Shared Services: Messaging, active directory, mobile management, Citrix, and Sharepoint/CRM services.
- Tier3 Services: Global changes, security, software installation, Windows administrative tasks and troubleshooting desktops/laptops.
- Unified Communications: IP telephony, video, WebEx and Call Center services.
- WAN-Remote Infrastructure Site surveys, capacity planning and requirements setting for remote office infrastructure and connectivity.
(complete IOT Service Level Agreement is available http://www.in.gov/iot/2405.htm)
|GMIS - PeopleSoft Services
||Large IT Project Management (>$1 million)
|Security & Disaster Recovery
Our Customers: Indiana taxpayers
Our Budget: ~$145MM
- Consolidated all agencies into one shared services organization (savings $13.9 million annually)
- Implemented PeopleSoft Financial System across 130 BUs and PeopleSoft HR for the entire state
- Implemented a common look and feel for 108 agencies on an enterprise Web Content Management Solution
- Teamed with Indiana University for first state disaster recovery capability (reconfigured network)
- Implemented a four-year PC refresh as well as switch refresh at no increased cost (Green Award)
- Developed Information Security Policy / secure network / personal security
- Implemented Transparency Website
- Transitioned DFR Modernization in-house after IBM termination
- Transitioned Ivy Tech and City of Indianapolis onto our mainframe
- Transitioned to one email system – 107 agency servers to 16
- Consolidated City of Indianapolis Mainframe applications onto the State’s Mainframe
- Consolidated Ball State University applications onto the State’s Mainframe
- Consolidated GIS software licensing for all state agencies
- 63% of Servers statewide have been transitioned to VMs (2,326 of 3,709)
- Avecto rollout
- Broadband mapping
- Citrix Netscaler deployment
- Data Sharing Initiative
- DFR HIP 2.0 Site deployment
- DNR POS system rewrite
- XtremIO migration
- NAS to Isilon migration
- Windows 2003 remediation
- Biztalk upgrade
- Hardware refresh (~7,000 annually)
- Identity management
- Improving the NHD
- Ivy Tech website rewrite
- Management and Performance Hub (MPH)
- Mobile device & application deployment
- PeopleSoft (PS) SQL to Oracle Transition
- PS Supplier Contracts Mgt & P-Card
- PS Time/Labor & Travel/Expense Deployment
- Time clocks deployment
- SOF automation
- Legacy software retirement
- Establishment of the IN-ISAC & Security Operations Center (SOC)
- IRS FTI audit compliance
- Multi-Site High Availability (MHA)
- Transition agency websites into new, modern design
- Licensed Software Inventory & Mgt System
- Transitioning all prod servers to flash technology
- Mainframe Z/os 2.1
- Mainframe Zsecure & QRadar
- TPI and Gartner benchmark studies - IOT costs consistently lower than industry average yet provides better services
- Digital Government awards: 25 awards in 2015, 14 awards in 2014 and 17 awards in 2013 and 14 awards in 2014.
- Digital Government Magazine’s Excellence Award for the consolidation
- Info World Magazine Excellence Award for consolidation / service excellence initiatives
- Featured speaker at NASCIO (National Association for State CIO's) and Gartner Conferences
- Featured article in the Digital Government Magazine
- 2012 Digital Government Award Winner for mobile Bus Inspections
- 2012 - Indiana Nabs 'Most Improved' Digital State Title - NASCIO
- 2011 VMware 1K Club Award – Deploying 1,000+ VMs
- 2010 Computerworld Top Green IT Organizations: #5
- 2010 W3 Award Gold Winner – Indiana State Fair Website
- 2009 Computerworld Top Green IT Organizations: #6
- 2009 Computerworld Honoree for Business and Related Services Award for Upgrading IT for Taxpayer Benefits
- 2009 Excellence in Communication Award – GovDelivery
- 2015 3rd Place Digital States Best of Web
- 2015 - CIO on cover of Government Technology Magazine w/Governor Pence OMB Director
- 2015 Special Achievement in GIS award in recognition for the high level of county/state cooperation in data sharing