Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR)
The Federal Acquisition Regulation is the principal set of rules in the Federal Acquisition Regulation System. The FAR System governs the acquisition process by which the government purchases (acquires) goods and services.
System Award Management (SAM)
All Indiana PTAC counselors can assist client companies with issues related to SAM.
SAM Registration Checklist:
1. Obtain your DUNS Number.
If you don’t have already one, you will have to register for a DUNS number from Dun & Bradstreet. You can get your DUNS Number at: http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform
2. Verify your Tax ID Number
A Taxpayer or Employer Identification Number (TIN or EIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws.
3. Locate your FSC and NAICS Codes
The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) categorizes products and service codes by industry sectors. These are mandatory 6 digit codes that identify what type of activity an entity performs, as well as the type of product or service offered. To find your NAICS code(s), visit: http://www.census.gov/naics. There is also an internal NAICS search during the SAM registration.
FSC Codes are optional 4 digit codes included in the Product Service Code (PSC) list found in the Assertions section of a SAM entity registration. To locate the right one for your entity, go to FSC Codes.
(Be sure to have other business information on hand, including your Bank Account and Routing numbers)
4. Determine whether your business is considered to be a small business: http://www.sba.gov/sizestandards
Useful links for SAM:
- SAM (System for Acquisition Management, includes the centralized, electronic registration process for vendors that want to do business with the federal government, formerly known as Central Contractor Registration, as well as ORCA, the Online Representations and Certifications Application, the primary federal government repository for all of your company’s required representations and certifications)
- SAM Quick Start Guide
- SAM User’s Guide (instructions for using SAM, including registering as a vendor and completing ORCA)
- SAM User Help Regarding Small Business Information
- SAM Registration Tips – 2012
- SAM Instructional Video – 2013