Protect Your Rights
What Does Indiana Disability Rights Focus On?
- Preventing, finding and stopping abuse and neglect of persons with disabilities
- Breaking down barriers and ensuring supports are available for persons with disabilities to ensure equality and inclusion in society
- Empowering persons with disabilities by serving as a partner in rights issues, providing resources for self-advocacy and bringing awareness to society to eliminate discrimination
- Accessibility, employment, education, community integration, justice and voting rights
How Does Indiana Disability Rights Protect Rights?
- Investigate and eliminate staff abuse in facilities or by a service provider.
- Reduce and eliminate staff and medical neglect in facilities or by a service provider.
- Stop the inappropriate use of restraint and seclusion in facilities or by a service provider.
- Identify and stop the financial exploitation of individuals with disabilities.
- Address rights issues in regards to accessibility including, but not limited to: physical access, web and technology access, transportation, voting, and conditional rights.
- Support integrated, community-based, and competitive employment of persons with disabilities.
- Ensure access to a free appropriate public education in both a safe and least restrictive environment.
- Encourage community integration of persons with disabilities into inclusive, livable, supportive communities.
- Ensure persons with disabilities, from youth through adulthood, are treated appropriately in justice settings.
- Promote and grow the self-advocacy movement in Indiana.
- Develop and disseminate accessible publications and electronic resources.
- Create and implement a communication plan to bring awareness of Indiana Disability Rights and the Commission.
- Build and foster relationships with community partners.
- Develop strategies for involvement in policy-making activities.
What Can I Do?
Contact Indiana Disability Rights to discuss your situation with one of our advocates. You can call us at 800.622.4845 or TTY 800.838.1131 -or-