PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of Maximum Security, the three main considerations in assigning an adult offender to a security level are the committing offense, the length of sentence, and prior criminal history.
Minimum Security (Level 1)
Minimum Security Facilities have the least restrictive security measures. Housing is dormitory-style. Also included as minimum security are work release program offenders who leave the facility for outside employment but return nightly.
- Chain O'Lakes Correctional Facility
- Edinburgh Correctional Facility
- Indianapolis Re-Entry Educational Facility
- Madison Correctional Facility (Female)
- South Bend Community Re-Entry Center
Medium Security (Level 2 & 3)
Medium Security Facilities have a moderate degree of security measures. Housing consists of dormitories and celled-space.
- Heritage Trail Correctional Facility
- Branchville Correctional Facility
- Correctional Industrial Facility
- New Castle Correctional Facility
- Plainfield Correctional Facility
- Putnamville Correctional Facility
- Rockville Correctional Facility (Female)
- Westville Correctional Facility
- Miami Correctional Facility
Intake facilities are designated to receive newly committed adult offenders. During the intake process each offender is evaluated through interviews, reports and diagnostic tests. This evaluation forms the basis of the offenders' facility and program assignment.