Construction Plan Submittal and Review
Submit the Construction Plan to the plan review authority. The plan review authority may vary based on local agreements with IDEM (SWCDs) and the existence of an MS4 community.
Note: MS4s do not directly administer 327 IAC 15-5, but are required to establish a local program that meets or exceeds the requirements of Rule 5. The local program must include provisions for plan review, site inspection, and enforcement procedures.
Is my project within an MS4 Entity with a Certified Construction Program?
- Yes, the Construction/Storm Water Pollution Plan should be submitted to the appropriate MS4. Contact information for the MS4 can be obtained at Designated MS4 Entities Currently Permitted.
- Note: Projects owned or operated by an MS4 must be submitted in accordance with item two (2) below.
- No, the project is subject to Rule 5 and the plan should be submitted to the local Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) with the exception of projects that occur within the counties of Noble and Ohio. Projects occurring within these counties will require plans to be submitted to:
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management
- Office of Water Quality, Storm Water Program
- 100 North Senate Avenue Room 1255
- Indianapolis, IN 46204
If you have questions as to whether the project lies within the boundaries of an MS4, please contact the appropriate MS4 or this office to make a determination. Inquiries to IDEM should be directed to the IDEM Storm Water Permit Coordinator or the MS4 Coordinator.
Plan Review Timeline
The review authority (project regulated under Rule 5) has up to 28 days from the date of submittal to review the plan. MS4s are not subject to the 28-day review period and have their own procedures for the submittal and review of plans.
Modifications to the plan may be requested by the review authority before a final determination is granted.
If notice of a deficient plan is received, the plans must be revised to satisfy the deficiencies and resubmitted to the review authority, at which time the 28-day review period starts over.
Single Coordinated Review
This process has been established to process plan submittals by allowing an applicant to only submit to one entity for projects that occur in multiple counties. A single review is only applicable for multi-county projects that occur outside of designated MS4 entities. To request a coordinated review, please submit a request in writing to the IDEM Storm Water Permit Coordinator.
For more information regarding the submittal of Construction Plans pursuant to 327 IAC 15-5, please contact the IDEM Storm Water Permit Coordinator.