Become a Member
Any regulated entity in Indiana may apply to Indiana’s Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP) regardless of type, size, or complexity. To qualify for ESP, applicants must demonstrate that they have:
- A standard of environmental compliance;
- Implemented and will maintain an environmental management system (EMS); and
- Committed to continuous environmental improvement.
Once a facility has determined it meets these eligibility requirements [PDF], the facility can submit an application for membership to IDEM. Applications to the Environmental Stewardship Program are accepted two times each year. The spring application round occurs April 1 - May 31 and the fall application round occurs September 1 - October 31 each year.
The following resources are available to help you complete the ESP application:
- Verify that the U.S. EPA's ECHO database represents your facility’s compliance history accurately.
- For confidential assistance with an environmental compliance or regulatory question, contact IDEM's Compliance & Technical Assistance Program at (800) 988-7901.
- Ensure that your EMS meets the guidelines, complete the EMS Checklist [PDF].
- Conduct an independent audit of your EMS.
- Review the ESP Application Instructions [PDF].
- Reference the Environmental Performance Table [PDF].
Application Review Process
After the application solicitation period ends, the application review period is approximately 90 days:
- Days 1 - 30: IDEM completes the administrative review and does an environmental compliance check within the last three years.
- Days 31 - 60: The ESP manager will conduct a site visit to tour the facility and review the Environmental Management System. In addition, an IDEM CTAP staff member will be present to discuss any regulatory requirements. (Notes and information gathered while at this visit are not confidential under the CTAP confidentiality clause. Contact IDEM's Compliance & Technical Assistance Program at (800) 988-7901 for confidential assistance with an environmental compliance or regulatory question before applying to ESP.)
- Days 61 - 90: IDEM senior management reviews the application. Upon approval, IDEM’s Commissioner signs the acceptance letter and certificate. The certificate can be mailed or presented in an onsite ceremony after acceptance, depending on your preference. You will also be invited to request environmental regulatory incentives upon acceptance into the program.
Responsibilities of ESP Members
ESP Members must maintain a standard of environmental compliance; an environmental management system (EMS); and continue implementing environmental improvement projects. IDEM requires that members submit an annual performance report (APR) (available on the IDEM Forms page), due April 1.
The ESP membership term lasts for four years and renewals must be requested when submitting the fourth APR. The renewal review process is the same as becoming a new member.
For More Information
If you have questions please contact the Indiana Department of Environmental Management at (800) 988-7901 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.