Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Indiana Department of Environmental Management
What Projects are Eligible for the BIG Program?
All facilities constructed under BIG must be:
- designed to accommodate boats 26' in length or greater;
- used by transient boaters (boaters not at their home port and staying not more than 10 consecutive days);
- open to the public;
- designed and constructed so as to last at least 20 years;
- continue to be used for their original stated grant purpose;
- maintained throughout their useful life;
- within two miles of a public pumpout
Typical projects could include the construction or renovation of:
- slips for transient boaters (not more than 10 days);
- mooring buoys;
- navigational aids limited specifically to direct entry of Big facilities;
- safe harbors for transients;
- initial dredging only to provide transient vessels with safe channel depths.
Activities that are not allowed under BIG would include:
- routine, custodial and/or janitorial maintenance activities (those that occur regularly on an annual or more frequent basis);
- construction of slips for long term rental (more than 10 days);
- construction or maintenance of facilities designed for boats less than 26' in length;
- maintenance dredging;
- dry land storage or haul out facilities;
- activities or construction that does not provide public benefit.