What Projects are Eligible for the BIG Program?
All facilities constructed under BIG must be:
- designed to accommodate boats 26' in length or greater;
- used by transient boaters (boaters not at their home port and staying not more than 10 consecutive days);
- open to the public;
- designed and constructed so as to last at least 20 years;
- continue to be used for their original stated grant purpose;
- maintained throughout their useful life;
- within two miles of a public pumpout
Typical projects could include the construction or renovation of:
- slips for transient boaters (not more than 10 days);
- mooring buoys;
- navigational aids limited specifically to direct entry of Big facilities;
- safe harbors for transients;
- initial dredging only to provide transient vessels with safe channel depths.
Activities that are not allowed under BIG would include:
- routine, custodial and/or janitorial maintenance activities (those that occur regularly on an annual or more frequent basis);
- construction of slips for long term rental (more than 10 days);
- construction or maintenance of facilities designed for boats less than 26' in length;
- maintenance dredging;
- dry land storage or haul out facilities;
- activities or construction that does not provide public benefit.