Southern Whitewater River TMDL
The Southern Whitewater River Watershed is located in southeastern Indiana along the Ohio state border and drains portions of Rush, Decatur, Union, Franklin, Dearborn and Ripley Counties. The watershed has a surface area of 412 square miles and drains a total of 1,370 square miles. Major waterbodies included in the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) report are Whitewater River, Salt Creek, Bull Fork, Little Salt Creek, Pipe Creek, Clear Creek, Duck Creek, Blue Creek, Yellow Bank Creek, Gobles Creek, Logan Creek, Johnson Fork and Big Cedar Creek.
A preliminary survey of the Southern Whitewater River Watershed was conducted by Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) in 2007 through the probabilistic sampling program. Impairments include dissolved oxygen, E. coli, and PCB and total mercury in fish tissue. Potential pollution sources in the watershed include nonpoint sources from forested lands and pastures, land application of manure and urban and rural run-off, as well as point sources from straight pipe discharges, and home sewage treatment system disposal.
Parameters to be Addressed
IDEM will complete a comprehensive sampling program in the watershed that will be based on the current impairments. Approximately 33 sites will be assessed for general chemistry, nutrients, habitat, fish and macroinvertebrate communities, and stream flow. For a comprehensive list of all parameters please reference the approved work plan.
Two TMDL public kickoff meetings were held on October 29, 2013. The first meeting was held at 2:00 PM (EDT) at the Franklin County Government Center, 1010 Franklin Avenue, Brookville, IN 47012. The second kickoff meeting was held at 6:00 PM (EDT) at the Batesville Middle School, 201 North Mulberry Street, Batesville, IN 47006. Meetings covered the same topics.
A Draft TMDL meeting was held at the Franklin County Government Center- Commissioners Room; 1010 Franklin Ave. Brookville, IN at 2:00 PM and Batesville Middle School- Commons; 201 Mulberry St. Batesville IN 6:00 PM on August 6, 2015 during which IDEM describes the TMDL program and provided an overview of the draft TMDL results. A representative from the Whitewater River Watershed Project will also provide information on current and future activities.
The TMDL Report
- TMDL Report [PDF]
- Whitewater River, Southern Decision Document [PDF]
Baseline Project 2013-2014
- 2013 Sampling and Analysis Work Plan for the Baseline Monitoring of the Southern Whitewater River Watershed [PDF]
- Map of IDEM Monitoring sites [PDF]
- Photos of IDEM Monitoring Sites [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary November 2013 - January 2014 [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary February 2014 - April 2014 [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary May 2014 - July 2014 [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary August 2014 - October 2014 [PDF]
- IDEM Water Quality Assessment Spreadsheet November 2013 - December 2014 [XLS]
- Note: Water Quality Data Query (i.e. raw data) is available upon request.
- IDEM Fish Community Assessment Report [PDF]
- IDEM Macroinvertebrate Community Assessment Report [PDF]
- IDEM Water Quality Targets
- Impaired Waters (e303d)
- TMDL 101 Presentation [PPT]
- Southern Whitewater River Kickoff Presentation [PPT]
- Whitewater River Watershed Group