Remedy Selection and Implementation Guidance
Office of Land Quality (OLQ) staff created the following IDEM guidance documents to help identify cleanup methods, technologies, or other tactics to use at contaminated sites in Indiana.
- Engineering References for Environmental Remediation [PDF]:
- This document contains a list of non-IDEM engineering references. It is not comprehensive, but serves as a general starting point for the most common engineering subjects reviewed by OLQ. The use of any reference in this list does not preapprove or prequalify a remediation-related proposal as valid, and does not necessarily accelerate, expedite, or change OLQ administrative or technical review procedures.
- Engineering Controls:
- This webpage provides guidance on three physical methods of reducing exposure to residual contamination.
- Institutional Controls:
- This webpage details legal or administrative measures that minimize the potential for human exposure to contamination and protect the environment by restricting property activity, use, or access when risk-based cleanups result in residual contamination being left on-site or when site cleanup has not yet occurred.
- Addressing Methane at Anaerobic Bioremediation Sites [PDF]:
- This document discusses the issue of appropriate methane monitoring to avoid explosive hazards.
- Bioremediation: A General Outline [PDF]:
- This document explains the use of naturally occurring microbes and other microbial additives in soil to degrade or remove contaminants.
- Ex-Situ Treatment of Dense Non-Aqueous Phase Liquids Using Calcium Oxide (Quick Lime) [PDF]:
- This document covers mixing calcium oxide into soils to reduce levels of petroleum hydrocarbons.
- In-Situ Chemical Oxidation [PDF]:
- This document evaluates injecting chemical oxidants into soils to break down organic contamination.
- In-Situ Thermal Remediation [PDF]:
- This document is about the use of heat to facilitate faster and more complete remediation of organic contamination in soils and ground water.
- Mobile Vacuum Extraction Remediation Systems [PDF]:
- This document evaluates the use of mobile vacuum systems to extract free product, ground water, and subsurface vapors from monitoring and recovery wells.
- Surfactant Use in Monitoring Wells [PDF]:
- This document discusses the specific use of surfactants in groundwater monitoring wells and their general use in hydrocarbon remediation.
- Vapor Intrusion:
- This webpage covers vapor intrusion and how to determine if it is a problem, how to correct it, and where to find additional information and guidance.
- Vapor Mitigation Systems [PDF]:
- This document describes technologies that may reduce air concentrations or cut off completed vapor intrusion pathways.
- Vapor Remedy Selection and Implementation [PDF]:
- This document provides guidance for evaluation and implementation of remedies at potential vapor intrusion sites.
- Attenuation Factors [PDF]:
- This document discusses the estimated values used to predict if chemical vapors will pass through barriers into indoor spaces.
- Vapor Intrusion Investigation Documentation [PDF]
- This document provides a template for recording information about vapor intrusion investigations.