- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Environmental Management

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
Find Out Where to Recycle

Indiana Department of Environmental Management


Table of Contents: Water Quality

Deep Well Injection

Permits for deep well injection are issued by the U.S. EPA Region 5 Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program. To contact them, use U.S. EPA UIC's online form or call (312) 886-1492.

Under some limited circumstances, such as wastewater discharges directly into the ground, an IDEM-issued State Operation Permit may be required. They are issued at the discretion of the IDEM Commissioner where a discharge may pose a threat to human health or the environment.

Questions about discharges into the ground may be directed to IDEM’s Office of Water Quality at (800) 451-6027, extension 2-8706 or (317) 232-8706.