- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Environmental Management

Indiana Department of Environmental Management


Table of Contents: Water Quality

Construction - Drinking Water Facilities

(Construction of water mains, wells, pumps, chemical additions, storage facilities, water treatment plants)

Utilizing surface or well water for a public water supply may require a Drinking Water Construction Permit (available on the IDEM Forms page).The Water Quality in Indiana: Permitting page provides additional information, or you may contact the IDEM OWQ Drinking Water Branch at (800) 451-6027, extension 308-3308.

Developing and using "non-drinking water sources" does not require a permit from IDEM. However, any well drawing more than 100,000 gallons of groundwater per day must be registered with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources within 90 days after the well's pumping equipment has been put into service.

For information regarding well water regulations overseen by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, contact that agency at (317) 232-4160.

Public Notices Subscribe to the IDEM Job Bank