How do I become certified?
You must meet the requirements set forth in the certification rule (327 IAC 5-22): (1) complete an application to sit for the certification exam, (2) pay a $30 application fee, and (3) pass the exam with a score of 70% or higher. A copy of the certification statute [PDF] and the certification rule [PDF] is available on this web site. The minimum requirements to sit for an exam are: one year of hands-on experience in the operation of wastewater treatment plants and a GED or high school diploma. There is no substitution of education for the one year of experience.
Do I qualify for a provisional certificate?
The certification rule states: "...(c) The commissioner may issue a provisional wastewater treatment operator's certificate if the following occur:
- The governing body or owner of a wastewater treatment plant submits a written request specifying a reason necessitating the provisional certification, including one (1) of the following:
- To fill a vacancy created by death.
- Resignation of the certified operator in responsible charge.
- Extended illness of the certified operator in responsible charge.
- Suspension or revocation of the certification of the operator in responsible charge.
- Similar cause as determined by the commissioner.
- The written request required by subdivision (1) provides the:
- education; and
- of the person for whom the provisional certificate is requested.
- The provisional certificate nominee named under subdivision (2) submits, simultaneously with the request submitted under subdivision (1), an application as required by section 11(b) of this rule requesting examination and certification.
- The provisional certificate nominee named under subdivision (2) currently meets the educational and experience requirements for the appropriate class of certification.
(d) A provisional certificate shall be:
- issued by the commissioner in the form of a letter that specifies the conditions of the certification; and
- valid for the shorter of the following lengths of time:
- The period between the date of application and sixty (60) days following the next examination that is available to the provisional certificate nominee.
- One (1) year.
What about training courses?
What books should I study?
What is the certification exam like?
Where can I find training providers?
Questions and Concerns?
If after reviewing the material on the WWC/CE Website you still have questions regarding the Wastewater Certification Program please contact Rebecca McMonigle at "rmcmonig at idem.in.gov", (317) 232-8791, or toll free 1-800-451-6027 ext 28791.