Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) are one of the most common potential sources of contamination in a Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA). Below are just a few suggestions from IDEM's Groundwater Section as a way to manage these potential sources.
- Educate the UST owner/operator about their location within a WHPA.
- Encourage employee training on spill reporting.
- Suggest that they contact the Public Water Supply Operator in the event of a spill or a leak and provide them with appropriate contact information.
- Search the IDEM Leaking UST website to see if you have or had a leaking UST in your WHPA; or contact the IDEM Leaking UST section directly:
- Download site specific Leaking UST site information. You can download a file and sort through by county to find out if there are Leaking USTs in the WHPA.
- Contact the IDEM Leaking UST section directly and give them the location information: via email at "leakingust at idem.in.gov", or via phone at (317) 232-8900 or toll free at (800) 451-6027, Ext. 2-8900 (available Monday through Friday).
- If there are facilities within your WHPA, find out if the facility has been inspected recently.
- Contact the IDEM UST Section directly and give them the location information: (317) 308-3039.
- Keep in Mind: Within a 1-year time of travel to a community public water supply well, Indiana Administrative Code (329 IAC 9) requires that new UST construction must be constructed with secondary containment, including both the tanks and the piping.
- For additional information about USTs: About Underground Storage Tanks and Their Related Contaminatints.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Groundwater section for assistance at (317) 234-7477.