Treasures at the Indiana State Archives
History of Broad Ripple, Indiana
The town of Broad Ripple (image on right) was platted by Jacob Coil (or Coyle) in April, 1837, on land he purchased from Jacob McKay and John Colip. It was located north of the Central Canal which had just started to be constructed.
South of the canal the town of Wellington (image below) was platted in May, 1837, by James and Adam Nelson.
The rivaling towns joined together in 1884 with the establishment of one post office, called Broad Ripple, and located south of the canal. Broad Ripple Village was annexed to the city of Indianapolis in 1922.
The Broad Ripple plat, north of the canal, is bounded by the current streets of Westfield, 64th Street, Carrollton, and the Sugar Bob Lane alley. The area of Wellington shown on the plat maps is bounded by the current streets of Westfield, Winthrop, Broad Ripple Avenue, and Guilford.
Past Featured Treasures
"Student nurses at the Home Hospital Training School for Nurses, Lafayette, Indiana, posing outside the Kile Memorial Building, circa 1929.” One of a series of twelve photographs documenting student life at the Home Hospital School. Photo courtesy of Dale Armstrong.
Student records from many closed Indiana hospital nursing schools are preserved at the Indiana State Archives. A database of student names from eleven closed schools is now online at http://digitalarchives.in.gov/
This is an “Outline Plat of the City of Peru in Miami County” submitted to the Indiana Supreme Court in 1876 as an exhibit in the case of City of Peru et al. v. Daniel R. Bearss et al. The case was decided May 28, 1877 by the Supreme Court. The map shows the present boundaries of the city of Peru and the adjacent lands that the city sought to annex. Among the lands sought to be annexed were parts of J.B. Richardville’s Reserve (Miami Indian), Francis Godfroy’s Reserve No. 12 (Miami Indian) and property owned by James O. Cole (grandfather of Cole Porter).
The map is an ink drawing on linen. Dimensions are 35 and three quarters by 27 inches. The scale is 400 feet to the inch. It was platted and described by J.M. Brown.
Elizabeth Hague, the State Archives’ conservation technician, cleaned and flattened the map, which was folded.