Find the entire Records Retention Schedule for a state agency, division, or other unit of government.
Clicking the green Retention Schedules button will show a Category list that allows you to narrow down the schedule type you're looking for.
- If you choose one of the links to an individual County/Local or Judicial retention schedule, you'll be taken straight to the page for that Retention Schedule.
- If you choose "State Government Schedules," an alphabetical list will appear of all approved retention schedules for State Government agencies or divisions of those agencies. You'll be able to scroll through, click on the specific retention schedule you need, and then you'll see the individual page for that retention schedule.
From there, you can:
- click "View/Save PDF version of this retention schedule" to see (and print or save) the entire schedule in its traditional published print layout.
- click the gray "Schedule Items" bar to see a list of the individual Record Series, showing only Record Series Number and Title.
Click any of those listed items to see the Details page for that Record Series, which will show the full information, including description, confidentiality, and retention instructions. This page also contains a link to view/print the whole Retention Schedule, or you can use your web browser's regular "print" option to print just this Record Series.
Find Individual Record Series.
Clicking the purple Record Series button will open a search page which allows you to look for all Record Series that meet the criteria you enter:
You can use any or all of the search fields, but your searches will be more productive for you if you know how those fields work:
- Find: searches for the words you entered there in every part of a Record Series. In the example above, if a Record Series has the word "microfilm" in its title, description, retention instructions, or agency name, it will appear in the search results.
That would pull up a lot of results, across many agencies, so you probably don't want to use "Find" by itself unless you have a very specific phrase to look for, which you know only appears in a few Record Series. Instead, you'll want to use one or more of the other fields below it, either in combination with the Find box, or on their own:
- Title: looks for Record Series that have your listed words in their title. If you enclose the words in quotation marks, the system will search for the exact phrase, in that order. If you don't, then your search words can appear in any order in the title, as long as they're all there.
- Agency Name Keywords: This box works the same way as the Title box (quotes will find the exact phrase, no quotes will find the words in any order), but it's searching for those words in the name of the government unit to which the Record Series belongs. This is a good search to use if you'd like to find all Record Series for an agency that has multiple divisional retention schedules, or find series from multiple agencies that all provide services related to a particular subject. (i.e. all agencies with the word Health in their name.)
- Local ID (Record Series Number): this will allow you to go straight to the information for a single Record Series if you know its Number, or you can use asterisks as wild cards to find a specific group of Record Series. For example, entering GRACC-* will return all series whose Record Series Number begins with GRACC.
- Include Discontinued Record Series: if you check this box, your search results may include Record Series marked that don't appear on any retention schedules and are no longer approved for use -- usually because the agency no longer creates/receives them, or because they've been superseded by a different Record Series. (The Details page will provide more information on why it was discontinued.) They're included in the search only for historical purposes, and may not be applied to an agency's current records.
After you've made all your search choices, click the Search button, and a list of Record Series will appear, with 25 series shown per page.
- You can use the Sort box on the right side of the screen to sort the results by Record Series Number, Title, or the name of the Retention Schedule to which they belong. (If you sort by Schedule, any Discontinued series will appear after the others, and be sorted by Record Series Number.)
- You can also narrow your list of results down by scrolling back up to the Search fields, filling in more criteria, and clicking Search again.
Finally, click the Title on any of the listed Record Series to see the Details page for that series, which will show the full information, including description, confidentiality, and retention instructions.
If the Record Series is active, there'll also be links to see all Record Series on the same Retention Schedule, schedule, or view/print the whole schedule in traditional published print layout. If the series is Discontinued, those links won't appear.