July 26, 2002 - Scott County's Carnegie Library
Scott County's Carnegie Library (72.2002.1)
Scott County, Indiana
View the annotated text for this marker.
Historical Marker Text:
Scott County Board of Commissioners appointed a library board 1917 in response to citizen petitions for a public library. Library board sought Carnegie grant for funding assistance. Locally $7,500 was raised; Carnegie grant of $12,500 was added. Library opened and had 4,453 volumes in 1921.
Structure of brick and limestone designed by Clifford Shopbell & Co. in Renaissance Revival style; 1986 addition designed by Pecsok, Jelliffe, Randall & Nice. One of 1,679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie libraries than any other state.
Scott County's Carnegie Library marker dedication July 26, 2002.
Temples of Knowledge by Alan McPherson describes all of Indiana's Carnegie Libraries