Taken from Lessons on the Northwest Ordinance of 1787
Learning materials for secondary school courses in American history, government, and civics
by John J. Patrick
developed by the ERIC Clearinghouse for Social Studies/Social Science Education
Main events associated with the Northwest Ordinance appear in the timetable.
Using Facts in the Timetable
1. Arranging Facts in Chronological Order.
The items in the list below are not in chronological order. Rearrange these items and write them in correct chronological order (the order in which they happened) on a separate piece of paper.
Scrambled List of Ten Events
- Ratification of the Constitution of the United States
- Signing of the Treaty of Paris
- Establishment of the Indiana Territory
- Virginia Act of Cession
- Passage of the Northwest Ordinance
- Indiana became a state of the United States.
- The Bill of Rights was added to the United States Constitution.
- Meeting of the Annapolis Convention
- Conclusion of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia
- Conclusion of the Constitutional Convention in Corydon
- The state of Ohio was created.
- The state of Wisconsin was created.
2. Matching Activity.
Match the dates in List A with the correct events in List B. Write the Roman numeral corresponding to each date in List A in the correct space next to an event in List B.
- September 3, 1783
- May 7, 1800
- December 15, 1791
- December 11, 1816
- September 17, 1787
- September 11, 1786
- July 13, 1787
- June 21, 1788
- June 29, 1816
- December 20. 1783
- __ The Annapolis Convention
- __ Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- __ Passage of the Northwest Ordinance
- __ Ratification of the federal Bill of Rights
- __ Signing of the Treaty of Paris
- __ Indiana achieved statehood.
- __ Indiana Territory established
- __ Conclusion of the convention that wrote the Constitution of the United States
- __ Virginia Act of Cession
- __ Conclusion of the convention that produced Indiana's first constitution
3. List five states formed from the Northwest Territory and arrange them in the order by which they entered the Union. When did each of these states enter the Federal Union?
4. Interpreting Facts in a Timetable.
Refer to facts in the Timetable to respond to the items below.
- Identify three events that had a major influence on the content of the Northwest Ordinance.
- Identify three events that indicate how the Northwest Ordinance affected the achievement of statehood in Indiana.
- Which five events in the Timetable are the most important or significant events in the early history of the United States? List these events in chronological order. Explain your choices.