- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Family and Social Services Administration

Family and Social Services Administration

Hoosier Assurance Plan Hoosier Assurance Plan

What is the Hoosier Assurance Plan (HAP)?

The Hoosier Assurance Plan (HAP) is the primary funding system used by the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration's Division of Mental Health and Addiction (DMHA) to pay for mental health and addiction services. DMHA contracts with managed care providers who provide an array of care for individuals who meet diagnostic, functioning level and income criteria. The managed care providers provide a year's care at the most appropriate levels to all enrollees.

Service providers, the general name given to the organizations who provide services funded by HAP, specialize in working with individuals in the following targeted areas:

  • Adults with serious mental illness
  • Children and adolescents with serious emotional disturbance
  • Persons with a substance abuse disorder
  • Persons with a gambling problem

Who qualifies to receive assistance through HAP?

Persons who have either no insurance or not enough insurance for mental health or addictions treatment may need to seek access to care. The Hoosier Assurance Plan helps to fund these services for those who qualify.

You may be eligible to have some of your treatment paid by the Hoosier Assurance Plan if you:

  1. Show that you qualify for Medicaid, Food Stamps, or fall at or below 200% of poverty (the provider you choose will help you with this)
  2. Meet certain evaluation criteria that are determined by a mental health professional
  3. Provide proof of income
  4. Provide your Social Security number

HAP does not pay 100% of your care. Individuals enrolled in HAP are expected to participate in paying for their care based on their financial ability through a sliding fee schedule. The provider you choose will help you determine what your share will be.

Where can I get the services?

The State of Indiana contracts with a variety of organizations across the state to provide services under HAP, they are called service providers. You can find information about the service providers near you by visiting the "Getting Services" page at "Service Providers by County."

What are your rights and responsibilities?

As a Consumer of publicly funded mental health and/or addiction services, you have certain rights and responsibilities:

Your Rights include:

  • You have the right to privacy and the confidentiality of your clinical records unless required by law.
  • You have the right to appropriate treatment that allows you the opportunity to improve your condition.
  • You have the right to join a support group.
  • You should have at least one review a year.
  • You have the right to complain when you feel that one of your rights has been violated.
  • You may do this by calling the Indiana Mental Health consumer service line at 1-800-901-1133.
  • You have the right to have your complaints investigated.
  • You have the right to change your case manager, therapist or doctor if you have a conflict that cannot be resolved.
  • You have the right to change providers on July 1st.
  • You should receive a formal list of patient rights from your Service Provider.

Your Responsibilities include:

  • You must ask for treatment.
  • You must actively participate in your treatment and work with your care provider.
  • You should call when you have a problem.
  • You must pay part of the cost of your treatment and/or have your insurance billed.