BDDS Waiver Journey

I want to receive waiver services, how do I get started?

  • Application for long term care
  • Authorization for Disclosure of Personal and Health Information
  • DDRS Referral and Application
  • I have turned in my application, now what happens?

    • An Intake Specialist from your local BDDS office will contact you to complete the assessment for a preliminary Level of Care (LOC), using the information and documents you provide.  This part of the process determines Developmental Disability (DD) eligibility and preliminary Level of Care (LOC).

    I meet Level of Care requirements, what is next?

    • After the application process is complete and LOC is determined, you will be placed on the waiting list for Family Supports Waiver services and will also be referred to Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VRS).  

    • While you are waiting for an open slot, you may: 
  • Utilize Medicaid State Plan Services, if eligible
  • Apply for caregiver supports (respite), as they are available
  • Apply for Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI)
  • Use Natural supports for help (e.g., family members, church, neighbors, co-workers and friends)
  • Utilize the other resources, such as the Department of Education (if under age 22), the Indiana Centers for Independent Living Services, and the Aging and Disability Resource Centers
    • Contact your local BDDS office immediately if there are any changes in an address or telephone number. Also, contact  the office annually or use the BDDS' Waitlist Portal  to ensure BDDS has your correct and most current contact information.

    When will I begin waiver services?

    • DDRS will mail you a targeting letter when a waiver slot is available.

    • Once you have confirmed that you still want to receive services, an Intake Specialist will contact you and complete a current LOC. If you do not currently meet LOC, you will not be able to utilize the available waiver slot.

    • If Medicaid eligibility was previously denied, you will need to take your targeting letter to your local Division of Family Resources (DFR) to reapply.