The military and veterans' benefits board was established by Indiana Code 10-17-13. The Board consists of the following members:
- (1) Seven (7) members appointed by the governor. The governor shall consider the following when making appointments:
- (A) Membership in:
- (i) a veterans association established under IC 10-18-6; or
- (ii) a veterans organization listed in IC 10-18-8-1.
- (B) Service in the armed forces of the United States (as defined in IC 5-9-4-3) or the national guard (as defined in IC 5-9-4-4).
- (C) Experience in education, including higher education, vocational education, or adult education.
- (D) Experience in investment banking or finance.
The governor shall designate one (1) member appointed under this subdivision to serve as chairperson of the board.
- (2) The director of veterans' affairs appointed under IC 10-17-1-5 or the director's designee.
- (3) The adjutant general of the military department of the state appointed under IC 10-16-2-6 or the adjutant general's designee.
- (4) Four (4) members of the general assembly appointed as follows:
- (A) Two (2) members of the senate, one (1) from each political party, appointed by the president pro tempore of the senate with advice from the minority leader of the senate.
- (B) Two (2) members of the house of representatives, one (1) from each political party, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives with advice from the minority leader of the house of representatives.
Members appointed under this subdivision are nonvoting, advisory members and must serve on a standing committee of the senate or house of representatives that has subject matter jurisdiction over military and veterans affairs.
Duties of board; management of fund
- (a) The board shall manage and develop the Veterans' Affairs Trust Fund and the assets of the fund.
- (b) The board shall do the following:
- (1) Establish a policy for the investment of the assets of the fund. In establishing a policy under this subdivision, the board shall:
- (A) consider the immediate needs of veterans and their families to the extent those needs are not addressed by the military family relief fund established by IC 10-17-12-8; and
- (B) have as its long term goal creating a self sustaining fund that is not dependent on legislative sources of funding.
- (2) Acquire money for the fund through the solicitation of private or public donations and other revenue producing activities.
- (3) Perform other tasks consistent with prudent management and development of the fund.
Current members of the Board are:
Stephen R. Wise - Chairperson
Ron Martin - representing The American Legion
Paul Curtice - representing the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
Donald G. Inns, II - representing the Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
Les Compton - representing AMVETS
Tom Applegate - Director, Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs
MG R. Martin Umbarger - Adjutant General - Indiana National Guard
State Senator Mike Delph
State Senator Frank Mrvan
State Representative Scott Reske
State Representative Dick Dodge
At least one regular meeting of the Board must be held per quarter and that meeting is open to the public. Meetings are generally held at 4:00 p.m. on the 3rd Tuesday every other month in the Ahner Auditorium at Joint Forces Headquarters, 2002 South Holt Road, Indianapolis, IN 46241. Exact dates and locations will be posted on the Calendar.