Beginning on January 2, 2007, the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs (IDVA) began accepting grant applications from the families of deployed or recently deployed Indiana National Guard members and members of the Selected Reserves. Effective April 30, 2009, certain active duty service members are eligible.
The emergency grants may be used by the families for needs such as food, housing, utilities, medical services, transportation and other essential family support expenses which have become difficult to afford. Grants up to $5,000 will be awarded to families to alleviate these needs and may be applied for up to three years after the period of active duty.
Grants will be considered by the Indiana Veterans Affairs Commission and the applicant will be advised.
1. The service member must be serving honorably or must have received an honorable discharge.
2. The need for financial assistance must have occurred during the time the individual is engaged in pre-deployment training or while serving on active duty (no pre-existing financial difficulties will be considered).
3. The qualified individual has served at least 30 continuous days of active duty (also eligible during the pre-deployment training). Grants will also be awarded for families still suffering hardships for up to three years after the period of active duty ends.
4. There is a documented need for financial assistance for necessities of daily living that include food, clothing, housing, utilities, medical service, prescriptions, insurance payments or other needs.
5. National Guard members must be a member of the Indiana Army or Air National Guard and must be a resident of Indiana. Reservists must be a resident of Indiana. Active duty members must have initially entered the military from Indiana and maintain Indiana as Home of Record.
6. In order to be eligible the applicant must show that the need has arisen since notification of pending active duty orders or since receipt of active duty orders during a time of national conflict or war.
7. National Guard & Reserve members must have proof of pre-deployment training or active duty orders. Active duty members must show orders to prove they are being, or are currently, deployed during a period of national conflict or war.
8. The applicant must sign and date the application and provide all required proof and documentation.
9. The qualified individual or family member can receive $5,000 per year in grants from the family relief fund. The year starts with the date the grant is approved and continues as long as the service member is otherwise eligible. The Director of the Indiana Dept. of Veterans Affairs may waive the requirements for emergency cases only upon written request indicating the circumstances justifying such a waiver.
Contact your local County Veterans' Service Officer or call toll free:1-800-400-4520 to have an application mailed,
or download the application at:
Please submit completed applications to:
Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs
Attn: Military Family Relief Fund
302 W. Washington St. Room E-120
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Applications and documentation may also be faxed to 317-232-7721
For more information, please contact Noelle Wikert at 317-232-3922 or email firstname.lastname@example.org