Filing Past Year Tax Returns

July 27, 2017

Are you worried about not filing a past year tax return? Stop worrying and take action.

There are many reasons why people do not file tax returns. Some think it isn’t necessary because they did not earn enough income during the past year. For others, they filed with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and did not realize they needed to file separately with the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR). Whatever the reason, it is never too late to file.

For Businesses:

The DOR has a voluntary disclosure agreement (VDA) program. This program is for businesses who discover they’ve had tax exposure in Indiana, but haven’t filed. For more information or to find out how to participate, visit the VDA program webpage.

For Individuals:

Go to the Indiana State Prior Year Tax Forms webpage and select the tax form for the year you missed and have yet to file. Complete and return the tax form.

The DOR may action first and send you a notification letter. In that case, respond by providing the information requested. If you believe you were contacted in error, you will be given the opportunity to file an appeal.

If you need help figuring out if you filed for a certain year, you can call Customer Services Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST:

• Individual Income Tax: (317) 232-2240

• Voluntary Disclosure Agreement Program: (317) 233-6036

Remember, if you file a federal return you must also file a state return.