Preparing for Next Tax Season
April 26, 2017
It’s never too early to start planning ahead! Although the individual income tax season just ended April 18, there are a number of things you can do now and throughout 2017 to ensure you’re prepared when the next tax season rolls around.
- Review This Year’s Tax Return –If you received a big refund this tax season or owed a lot, consider updating your WH-4 with your employer. Adjusting your withholding could help you more accurately pay the correct amount in taxes throughout the year.
- Stay Organized – Records retention is important. Keeping your tax documents organized electronically or in a folder or other filing system is an easy way to keep your tax records in order. Save previous years’ tax returns, W-2s, and other financial documents so you can reference them next tax season.
- Save Your Receipts – Indiana has several tax credits and deductions for which you may qualify. Plan ahead by reviewing these credits and deductions now to determine those which may pertain to you. By saving your receipts throughout the year, it will be much easier to complete your tax return next year! Remember only to claim the credits and deductions for which you qualify.
- Protect Your Identity– Identity theft and tax refund fraud is a growing problem, but you can take steps to keep your identity safe. Store important documents and personal information in a safe, secure place and keep your personal information, such as your Social Security number and bank account information, private. It also is a good idea to check your credit report for free annually with each of the three major credit bureaus.
- Consider Life Changes – What does this year have in store for you? Will you get married, buy a house or have children? Major life changes can affect your filing status, withholding amounts, and the tax forms you may need to file.
- Plan Ahead – Updated Indiana tax forms for the individual income tax season are made available online every December. Plan ahead and file early to have a simple, stress-free tax season.
The Indiana Department of Revenue website has many resources to help you before, during, and after the tax season closes. Visit www.in.gov/dor/4703.htm to review the Individual Income Taxes section of the website.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017