Last Chance to File for Free This Year!
April 12, 2017
The 2017 tax season wraps up April 18. Haven’t filed your individual income taxes yet? There is no need to panic. You still have time to use Indiana freefile (INfreefile) to electronically file your state and federal income taxes for free!
Nearly two million Hoosiers taxpayers qualify to file their federal and state taxes electronically for free, and you could be one of them. If your adjusted gross income was $64,000 or less in 2016, you may qualify to take advantage of all the perks INfreefile has to offer. If you qualify, INfreefile allows you to use the same question-and-answer vendor software you may be paying to use from your preferred vendor. The participating vendors include 1040NOW, H&R Block, OLT Online Taxes, TaxAct, TurboTax and FreeTaxUSA.
Many Indiana taxpayers choose to file electronically because it offers many convenient benefits:
- Faster refunds – In most cases, electronically-submitted returns are processed faster than paper-filed returns. Please note that some tax returns may take longer to process due to factors like return errors or incomplete information. Additionally, the Indiana Department of Revenue screens every return in order to protect taxpayer IDs and refunds.
- More secure – Fewer people see your personal information.
- Get more or pay less – E-filing software may suggest credits and deductions about which you might not have known.
- Better accuracy – Electronically-filed returns have a two percent error rate versus 20 percent for paper returns. Common math errors are avoided, because the vendor software completes the calculations for you.
- Convenience – You can file online (and use INfreefile) 24/7!
Don’t put off filing your taxes any longer; visit www.freefile.dor.in.gov to compare INfreefile vendor offers and see if you qualify!
If you have any questions about your return, feel free contact the Indiana Department of Revenue at 317-232-2240. Stay up to date with other important information by following the department on Facebook and Twitter.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017