Tax Season by the Numbers
March 29, 2017
We’re more than a month into this year’s tax season, so let’s see how the numbers add up.
More than 3.2 million Indiana individual tax returns are filed each year. A whopping 85 percent of these returns are filed electronically.
So, why are taxpayers choosing to file electronically? Keep reading to see how e-filing stacks up to paper-filing:
- E-filed returns are processed in an average of 14 business days, while a paper-filed return can take up to 12 weeks to process.
- E-filed returns have a two percent error rate, while paper returns have a 20 percent error rate. Sophisticated software checks for math errors and guides you through the filing process from start to finish.
- You can file your taxes online 24/7, and online software vendors allow you to file your federal and state tax returns at the same time, so e-filing is a convenient option for many taxpayers.
- More secure – Fewer people see your e-filed return, making it more secure.
Two million Indiana taxpayers qualify to file their federal and state tax returns online for free with Indiana freefile (INfreefile). That’s about two-thirds of Hoosier taxpayers! Have an adjusted gross income of $64,000 or less? You may be one of them! Compare vendor offers and get started at www.freefile.dor.in.gov.
When it comes to security, the department doesn’t cut corners. The Identity Protection Program was launched in 2014. Since its inception, the program has stopped more than $100 million in fraudulent tax refund attempts and helped thousands of Indiana taxpayers discover their identities had been stolen and used to file fraudulent tax returns.
To learn more about filing your individual income tax return, visit www.in.gov/dor/4703.htm.
For more information about stopping identity theft and tax fraud, visit www.in.gov/dor/4794.htm.
Want to stay up to date with tax season news and progress? Follow the department on Facebook and Twitter for updates!
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
The gig economy is booming. Many Hoosiers are among the 20.5 million people involved in direct selling in the United States. Read more...
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017
- What Do Our District Offices Do?
August 02, 2017