Helpful Tips to Protect your Identity
February 15, 2017
It’s the time of year when we scramble to gather our W-2s to file taxes before the April 18 individual income tax deadline. As you gather important paperwork, remember it is vitally important to keep this information safe from identity thieves.
How can you prevent an identity thief from stealing your refund? We are so glad you asked.
- Be aware of impersonators. Don’t give personal information over the phone, through the mail, or on the Internet unless you are sure you know with whom you are dealing.
- Store your personal information and financial documents in a safe place. Avoid carrying your Social Security card and keep financial documents in a secure location.
- Safely dispose of personal information. Shred receipts, bank statements, checks, and other documents with personal information when you are done using them.
- Check your credit report annually. You can check your credit report every 12 months for free by contacting the three credit report agencies – Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union.
- Protect your personal computers. Use firewalls and anti-spam/virus software. Update security patches to keep your personal information safe online.
Remember, identity thieves are professional criminals and are skilled at finding ways to steal your personal information. For more information about keeping your identity safe, visit the Indiana Department of Revenue’s Stop ID Theft website.
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017