Top Tips for First Time Filers
February 1, 2017
Let’s face it – filing your taxes for the first time can be scary, but it doesn’t have to be! The Indiana Department of Revenue is here to help. Check out these tips for first time filers:
- The individual income tax filing season is open from January 23 to April 18, 2017. Remember, paying taxes is required by law for anyone who makes more than $1,000 in a year.
- You pay federal tax to the Internal Revenue Service. If your job is in Indiana or you live in Indiana, you pay state tax to the Indiana Department of Revenue, too.
- Before you start a new job, you complete federal and state tax forms. Indiana employees must complete the Indiana WH-4. This form tells your new employer how much in Indiana taxes to take out of your earnings before giving you your paycheck. Your employer withholds the taxes from your paychecks, so you don’t have to pay the state every few months or owe the state a lot of money when you file your taxes at the end of the year. Taxpayers who are self-employed or have other income may need to make special arrangements. For more information, check out our video series about estimated taxes.
- Those who don’t pay enough state tax throughout the year will owe the state money, and those who paid too much state tax will receive a refund. Check the status of your refund at www.in.gov/dor/4339.htm.
- Filing your taxes electronically is the most convenient option for many taxpayers. There are many benefits to filing your taxes electronically, including faster refunds, more security, and fewer errors. Nearly two million Indiana taxpayers qualify to file their federal and state taxes online for free using Indiana freefile (INfreefile). Compare vendor offers and see if you qualify at www.freefile.dor.in.gov.
Do you need assistance this tax season? We’re here to help. Taxpayers can call 317-232-2240 or connect with us through the department’s Facebook or Twitter pages. Taxpayers should never send personal information, such as a Social Security number, through social media.
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
The gig economy is booming. Many Hoosiers are among the 20.5 million people involved in direct selling in the United States. Read more...
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017
- What Do Our District Offices Do?
August 02, 2017