Tax Season Checklist
January 18, 2017
After ringing in the New Year, it is easy to forget tax season is right around the corner. The Indiana Department of Revenue has created a list to help you prepare for a stress-free tax season.
- Gather your receipts. Collect your receipts from 2016, and keep them organized by tax or deduction type (e.g., insulation deduction, property tax statement). Keeping documentation organized makes it easy to determine for which credits and deductions you’re eligible.
- Keep track of necessary documents. Make a list of documents you’ll need to file your return, such as W-2s, 1099s, or 529 account statements. Check the items off your list as they arrive to prevent you from filing with incomplete information.
- Take stock of your life. Big life events, such as marriage, divorce, having children, or moving, can have an impact on your filing status and withholding. Check with the human resources department at your workplace to make sure your current information is on file.
- Review online purchases. Did you pay sales tax on online purchases made in 2016? If not, you will owe use tax to Indiana.
- Don’t use that paystub! Paystubs don’t include all information needed to successfully file your tax return. Wait to file until you receive your W-2. You should receive your W-2 from your employer by the end of January.
Have questions? Visit www.in.gov/dor/3325.htm for department contact information.
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
The gig economy is booming. Many Hoosiers are among the 20.5 million people involved in direct selling in the United States. Read more...
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017
- What Do Our District Offices Do?
August 02, 2017