Tax Season Opening Soon
January 4, 2016
Calling all Hoosier taxpayers! Tax season is almost here. The Indiana Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will open the 2017 tax filing season and begin processing individual tax returns on January 23, 2017.
In preparation, here is some important (and money-saving) information to remember for this tax season.
Nearly two million Indiana residents qualify to use a free filing service called Indiana freefile (INfreefile) to file both their federal AND state taxes online. Are you one? Hoosier taxpayers with an adjusted gross income of $64 ,000 or less may qualify to file for free.
Taxpayers should visit www.freefile.dor.in.gov to see if they qualify for INfreefile based on the vendors’ options. If qualified, taxpayers simply click the vendor of their choice and complete their tax returns online. It’s that simple!
By choosing to file electronically you get:
- Faster refunds – e-filed returns are processed in 12 to 14 days, while a paper return can take up to 12 weeks.
- Increased security – fewer people see and handle your information.
- Get more or owe less – e-filing software may suggest credits and deductions about which you might not have known .
- Better accuracy – electronic returns have a two percent error rate versus 20 percent for paper returns.
As always, the Indiana Department of Revenue is here to help during tax season. If you have any questions regarding your individual income tax return , contact the department at 317-232-2240 or visit www.in.gov/dor/3392.htm.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017