Communication, Technology and the Department
November 2, 2016
As Indiana celebrates its bicentennial birthday, it’s safe to say a lot has changed in the past 200 years! The Indiana Department of Revenue is no exception. As years pass and new technology develops, the department continues to adapt to new communication methods when interacting with taxpayers.
Can you imagine still receiving messages via mail chutes? How about navigating a website created in the nineties? If you weren’t around for those, you’re likely at least aware of the way social media has transformed the way we all communicate!
From the use of mail chutes to the first website and the use of social media, there is no doubt technology impacts how the department communicates. Check out the timeline below to see how much the department has progressed.
- 1970-1971 – The use of mail chutes to send messages to the post office ends.
- 1996 – The department launches its first website.
- 1997 – The department begins answering taxpayer inquiries via email.
- 2009 – The department’s Spanish website goes live.
- 2010 – The department begins using Facebook and Twitter to connect with taxpayers
- 2012 – The department launches its Customer Interaction Center (CIC) telephone system.
The department is always looking for new and improved ways to communicate. Do you have a suggestion to improve our communication with you? Let us know by clicking here.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017