Preserving the Crossroads of America

August 17, 2016

En Español

The state of Indiana adopted “Crossroads of America” as the official state motto in 1937. Since then, the actual “crossroads” have been enhanced and updated, in part thanks to the Motor Carrier Services (MCS) Division of the Indiana Department of Revenue. To celebrate Indiana’s bicentennial, let’s take a look at how MCS works to help Hoosiers today.

Indiana is known as the “Crossroads of America” because of the several major highways that crisscross the state. With commercial vehicles traveling more than 9.5 billion miles in Indiana each year, MCS works to provide guidance and service to motor-carrier companies, commercial drivers and residents of Indiana.

Indiana, like other states, collects taxes on the fuel used within its border to build and maintain the roads and highways that link communities to each other and the rest of the nation.

A business that operates commercial motor vehicles in Indiana must pay a tax based upon the fuel usage for certain vehicles. If vehicles are subject to this tax, they must be registered with MCS, have annual compliance decals and license cards, and must file quarterly tax returns.

There are two types of fuel tax requirements for these vehicles depending on whether the vehicles are traveling intrastate (in Indiana only) or interstate (in more than one state, including Canada). Those who travel interstate are required to register for an International Fuel Tax Agreement, and those who travel intrastate are required to register for Motor Carrier Fuel Tax.

In addition, MCS oversees many areas that shape the commercial transportation industry today, such as: International Registration Plan, Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permitting, Unified Carrier Registration and USDOT Numbers.

To find more information about what it takes to preserve Indiana’s crossroads, please visit the Motor Carrier Services section of the department’s website. Other state agencies also play a role in maintaining the crossroads. For more information about a few of these agencies, visit INDOT or BMV.