Tax Filing Deadline is Today

April 18, 2016

The window to file your individual income tax return closes today.

Traditionally, April 15 is the last day to file your individual income tax return. This year, the Emancipation Day celebration in Washington D.C. pushed the deadline to April 18.

If you’re racing to meet today’s deadline:

Indiana freefile (INfreefile), the Indiana Department of Revenue’s free online filing program, is still available for qualified taxpayers to electronically file both federal and state taxes. Visit to see if you qualify.

If you don’t qualify for INfreefile, filing your tax return electronically still is recommended. Electronic filing offers faster refunds, more security, and more accuracy. The department also accepts paper-filed returns.

If you can’t meet the deadline:

If you need more time to file your individual income tax return, complete an extension of time to file. For more information about filing an extension, check out our March 28 blog on the topic by clicking here.

Either way, you have to pay

Even if you complete an extension of time to file, the tax owed is due today.

You can pay tax owed online through the department’s secure ePay site at ePay has a $1 check processing fee and a varying credit card processing fee.

Taxpayers who can’t pay the full amount owed should pay as much as possible to minimize penalty and interest charges.

If you receive a tax bill, a payment plan can be established using INtax Pay at Taxpayers qualify for a payment plan if they owe more than $100 and can pay at least 20 percent down. Some exceptions exist. To find out if you qualify, call the department at (317) 232-2165.

Estimated tax payment due today

The first estimated tax installment payment is due today as well. There are a few options available for making an estimated tax payment:

  • You can make an electronic payment online using ePay.
  • You can download Form  ES-40 and submit it by mail to the department with appropriate payment. It must be postmarked with today’s date. After your payment is processed, preprinted vouchers for the remaining installment payment periods will be mailed to you.
  • You can carry over any amount of the overpayment (refund) from your current-year tax return to the next year’s estimated tax account by completing the back of Form IT-40 or Form IT-40PNR. Once the carryover has been processed, you will be sent vouchers for the remaining installments.

Good luck, last-minute filers!