How to Avoid Refund Delays
April 6, 2016
We know you are excited to receive your state tax refund as quickly as possible. The best way to avoid any refund delays is to make sure you don’t make these three common mistakes:
- Missing Schedules – Many schedules must be included if you file Form IT-40. For example, if you claim any deductions, you must include Schedule 2, Indiana Deductions. If you file your individual income tax return without the required schedules, your refund could be delayed by several weeks.
- You did not update your address – If you have moved and did not change your address with the Indiana Department of Revenue, this may delay receipt of your refund. Luckily, you can update your address by visiting www.in.gov/dor/4706.htm.
- You did not include your W-2s – If you do not include your W-2s and other important tax statements when you file your tax return, we must contact you to get the missing information. This could delay your refund by several weeks.
Interested in the quickest way to get your refund? If you electronically file your individual income tax return, you could receive your refund in 12 to 14 days!
To check the status of your refund, go to the department’s homepage (www.in.gov/dor) and click “Check Your Refund” under online services on the right. You can visit this page to check the status of your refund 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You also can call the department’s automated refund line at 317-233-4018 to check the status of your refund. Remember to have your social security number and the amount of your refund handy to check your refund status.
Check out the Tax Video Library at www.in.gov/dor/4684.htm to learn more about the quickest way to get your refund and for other helpful tax season information.
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017