How can I file an amended return?

March 23, 2016

Taxes can be confusing, and sometimes we make mistakes. In the event you make a mistake on your state income tax return or need to make changes to your income, exemptions or credits, you can file an amended return.

Depending on the type of return you filed originally, you can do one of two things to file an amended return.

  • If you already filed an original state income tax return, file an amended return using IT-40X.
  • If you did not file an original state income tax return but filed an amended federal return (1040X), then you need to file the new figures as an original state income tax return on IT-40, IT-40PNR or IT-40EZ.

An amended return may result in a refund or a tax due. For more information about checking the status of your refund or paying tax owed, click here.

If you have questions about your tax return, contact the department at 317-232-2240 or via email at