Tips for Filing Your State Tax Return
March 9, 2016
Millions of Hoosiers complete tax returns every year. Whether you have years of tax filing experience under your belt or consider yourself a tax newbie, these six tips will help you have a simple and stress-free tax season.
- Determine whether you need to file. If you live in Indiana, work in Indiana, or have income from Indiana sources, you likely need to file an Indiana tax return. Resources for individual taxpayers are available at www.in.gov/dor/4703.htm.
- Gather the necessary documents. You need your Social Security number. You also need financial documents received from your employer and banks, including a Form W-2.
- Review last year’s tax returns. Some of the information from the previous year’s tax returns may be the same.
- File electronically to keep things simple. The majority of Indiana taxpayers choose to file electronically. Not only is e-filing convenient and secure, but e-filed returns are processed and refunds issued much faster than paper-filed returns. Additionally, about two-thirds of Indiana taxpayers qualify to e-file their federal and state taxes for free using Indiana freefile (INfreefile). Compare vendor offers and get started at www.freefile.dor.in.gov.
- Check your work! E-filed returns have a two percent error rate, while paper returns have a 20 percent error rate, but no matter which filing method you use, be sure to check for errors before submitting your return. Errors can result in longer processing time and delayed refunds.
- Don’t fall for tax scams. Identity thieves can use your personal information to file a fraudulent tax return in your name. The Indiana Department of Revenue’s Identity Protection Program helps protect Hoosier identities and tax dollars. To learn more about the Identity Protection Program, visit www.in.gov/dor/4794.htm.
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017