Top Tips for First Time Filers
February 1, 2016
Each year, there are more new Hoosier taxpayers. For some, the thought of tax season can be overwhelming and confusing, but it doesn’t have to be! Check out these tips for first time filers:
- The individual income tax filing season is open from Jan. 19 to April 18, 2016. Remember, paying taxes is required by law for anyone who makes more than $1,000 in a year.
- You pay federal tax to the Internal Revenue Service. If your job is in Indiana or you live in Indiana, you pay state tax to the Indiana Department of Revenue, too.
- When you get a job, you complete federal and state tax forms. Indiana employees must complete the Indiana WH-4. This form tells your new employer how much in Indiana taxes to take out of your earnings before giving you your paycheck. Your employer withholds the taxes from your paychecks so you don’t have to pay the state every few months or owe the state a lot of money when you file your taxes at the end of the year. Taxpayers who are self-employed or have other income may need to make special arrangements. For more information, check out our video series about estimated taxes.
- Those who don’t pay enough state tax throughout the year will owe the state money, and those who paid too much state tax will receive a refund. Check the status of your refund at www.in.gov/dor/4339.htm.
- Filing your taxes electronically is the most convenient option for many taxpayers. There are many benefits to filing your taxes electronically, including faster refunds, more security, and fewer errors. Nearly two million Indiana taxpayers qualify to file their federal and state taxes online for free using Indiana freefile (INfreefile). Compare vendor offers and see if you qualify at www.freefile.dor.in.gov.
Do you need assistance this tax season? The department always is willing to help. Taxpayers can call 317-232-2240 or submit questions through the department’s Facebook or Twitter pages. Taxpayers should never send personal information, such as a Social Security number, through social media.
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017