Tax Season Survival Tips
January 6, 2016
The Indiana Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will open the 2016 tax filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns on Jan. 19, 2016. Here are some tips to ensure you stay calm, cool, and collected this tax season:
- File online for free. Taxpayers with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $62,000 or less may qualify to file their taxes online for free using Indiana freefile (INfreefile). Taxpayers should visit www.freefile.dor.in.gov to see if they qualify based on the vendors’ options. Information also is available in Spanish at www.in.gov/dor/5067.htm.
- Keep your identity safe. Did you know criminals can use your identity to file a tax return in your name? Use a secure password, keep your Social Security card and other personal documents in a safe location, and check your credit report to help protect your identity this tax season. Learn more about identity theft and tax fraud at www.in.gov/dor/4794.htm.
- Stay informed about Indiana credits and deductions. Stay in the know about Indiana’s many credits and deductions to ensure you’re filing your taxes properly. A list of Indiana’s tax credits is available at www.in.gov/dor/4745.htm. A list of Indiana’s tax deductions is available at www.in.gov/dor/4735.htm.
- Contact us for assistance. Have questions about your individual income tax return? We’re here to help! Contact the department at 317-232-2240. Select option two for Spanish assistance. Visit www.in.gov/dor/3325.htm for a complete list of department contact information.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017