Tax Season Checklist
December 23, 2015
In the midst of the holiday hustle and bustle, it’s easy to forget tax season is right around the corner. We’ve made a list (and checked it twice) to help you prepare for a stress-free tax season.
- Gather your receipts. Collect the year’s receipts and keep them organized by tax or deduction type (e.g., insulation deduction, property tax statement). Keeping documentation organized makes it easy to determine for which credits and deductions you’re eligible.
- Keep track of necessary documents. Make a list of documents you’ll need to file your return, such as W-2s, 1099s, or 529 account statements. Check the items off your list as they arrive to prevent you from filing with incomplete information.
- Take stock of your life. Big life events, such as marriage, divorce, having children, or moving, can have an impact on your filing status and withholding. Check with the human resources department at your workplace to make sure your current information is on file.
- Review online purchases. Did you pay sales tax on online purchases made this year? If not, you will owe use tax to Indiana. Read more about sales and use tax here.
- Don’t use that paystub! Paystubs don’t include all information needed to successfully file your tax return. Wait to file until you receive your W-2. You should receive your W-2 from your employer by the end of January.
Have questions? Visit www.in.gov/dor/3325.htm for department contact information.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017