How to Read the Monthly Report of Net Collections: Part 2
July 16, 2015
In our previous blog, “How to Read the Monthly Report of Net Collections: Part 1,” we discussed the report and how to read the first section, which details the taxes collected by the Indiana Department of Revenue. Today, we’re going to review the more detailed sections of the report, which show how the collected funds are distributed.
While each section of the report provides slightly different information, there are some things you should know before we start our review:
- Collected amounts are provided for the current and prior month and for the year-to-date (YTD). YTD amounts are provided for both calendar year (January 1 through December 31) and fiscal year (July 1 through June 30).
- Comparisons to previous periods along with percent of change are provided. For month-to-month comparisons, the information from the prior month and the same month from the prior year are included in the sections. For YTD comparisons, the YTD information for the same month of the prior year is included in the sections.
- Figures are reported in the thousands, so $17 on the report is really $17,000 in collections.
Unless otherwise noted, these three things will remain true throughout the sections we discuss today.
You can visit http://www.in.gov/dor/3657.htm to find a monthly report and follow along as we walk through the information.
Net Tax Receipts – General Fund Only Section
Located on the third page of the report, this section shows how the collected amounts are distributed to the state’s general fund. The general fund is not a single fund but a combination of many funds. These funds are used for the day-to-day operations of the state.
The collected amounts are sorted by tax type.
Net Tax Distributions Section
The next two pages of the report, pages four and five, comprise the Net Tax Distributions section. This section details how the collected amounts are distributed among each fund.
Some of the funds listed in this section are those that comprise the state’s general fund. If a fund number starts with a one, it is part of what is known as the general fund. The other funds are known as dedicated funds and must be used in specific ways.
Monthly Ledger Section
Pages six through 12 are the Monthly Ledger Section. Figures in this section are not reported in the thousands. $17 in this section represents $17 distributed.
This section details the distribution of the collected amounts by tax type, fund, and account. Rather than looking at the amount distributed to each fund like the Net Tax Distributions Section, this section looks at how each tax type collected is divided among the funds.
As mentioned in Part 1 of this blog series, the department also collects local taxes on behalf of city and county governments. Beginning on page nine, this section details the distribution of these local taxes to the appropriate fund and account for the city and county governments.
Net Tax Distributions Section
The last section and final page of the report is the Net Tax Distributions section. Figures in this section are not reported in the thousands. $17 in this section represents $17 distributed.
This section shows the distribution of collected funds as directed by Indiana law and is sorted by tax type. This is the same information provided in the previous sections of the report. However, this section provides the percentage of total distribution required by Indiana law.
Just as the name implies, the Monthly Report of Net Collections is published monthly. If you would like to be notified when future reports are published, read our blog about how to subscribe to department updates at http://www.in.gov/dor/5371.htm.
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
Are you on social media? We are too! Read more...
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017