Beware of Convincing Scams
April 8, 2015
A national telephone tax scam now takes aim at Indiana. This scam involves a call from a person claiming to be from the Indiana Department of Revenue.
We will never call you without first corresponding through mail. We also will never threaten to use local law enforcement.
The scammer claims there is an outstanding tax warrant in your name, and local law enforcement is on the way to arrest you. You then are offered the option to pay the alleged amount owed over the phone to cancel the warrant and recall the officers.
These scammers sound convincing and professional. They may have your personal information and can alter the caller ID to appear more legitimate.
If you owe Indiana taxes, you first receive a notice that explains the amount due. If unpaid, you receive a second notice in the mail alerting you that you have 10 days to pay. Tax warrants are not issued until this period has passed. Moreover, despite the name “warrant,” a tax warrant cannot be used by law enforcement to make an arrest.
If you suspect you are speaking with a telephone scammer, collect as much information as possible and report the scam to the Attorney General’s Office ID Protection Line at 1-800-232-2240. This information might include:
- If the voice offers a name or badge number, capture the number
- Whether the caller is male or female, or uses a regional dialect
- Any background noise
- The phone number from which the call came
- All details the caller provided, including amount of tax owed and requested payment type
If you believe you may owe individual income tax, call our general information line at 317-232-2240.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017