How to Extend Your Tax Filing Deadline
April 1, 2015
The April 15 deadline to file your individual income taxes is fast approaching. If you’ve waited to file, there’s no need to panic. The Department of Revenue offers resources to help Indiana taxpayers.
Taxpayers who can’t complete their tax return by April 15 can complete an extension of time to file form with either the IRS or the Indiana Department of Revenue. Filing either extension will give the taxpayer until November 16 to file their tax return. Although the extension provides an extension of time to file, taxpayers still are responsible for paying taxes owed by April 15.
The IRS offers a federal extension of time to file (IRS Form 4868). If you file this form, you won’t need to complete a separate extension form for Indiana.
If you don’t have an IRS extension, you can file for an Indiana extension by following the steps below:
- Download Form IT-9 and mail it to the Indiana Department of Revenue postmarked by April 15. This form is available online at www.in.gov/dor.
- Determine if you owe state taxes. You should pay at least 90 percent of the tax due when you submit the extension to avoid penalty.
- There will be no penalty if you file and pay the remaining balance by the extension date.
Filing online is the fastest and easiest way to ensure returns are processed on time.
Nearly two million Indiana taxpayers qualify to file their federal and state taxes online for free with Indiana freefile (INfreefile). If your adjusted gross income (AGI) was $60,000 or less in 2014, you may qualify. Visit www.freefile.dor.in.gov to compare vendor offers and get started on your tax return. The INfreefile website is available in Spanish at www.in.gov/dor/5067.htm.
If you need last-minute assistance or have questions about your return, please contact the department at 317-232-2240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Spanish support is available.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017