Tax Season Opening Soon
Jan. 5, 2015 - TaxTalk Blog
It’s almost here! As the torrent of tax preparation ads have already begun to reminded us, tax season is just a couple of weeks away. Beginning Jan. 20, 2015, the Indiana Department of Revenue (and IRS) will open the 2015 tax filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns. Here is some important (and money-saving) information to remember this tax season.
Qualified taxpayers will be able to use a free filing service called Indiana freefile (INfreefile) to file both their federal AND state taxes online. Last year, more than 119,000 taxpayers used INfreefile to file their Indiana taxes. However, nearly 1 million Hoosier taxpayers qualify to file taxes for free through INfreefile, due to criteria such as having an AGI of $60,000 or less, claiming the earned income credit, etc.
Taxpayers should visit www.freefile.dor.in.gov to see if they qualify for INfreefile based on the vendors’ options. If qualified, taxpayers simply click the vendor of their choice and complete their tax returns online. It’s that simple!
By choosing to file electronically you get:
- Faster refunds – e-filed returns are processed in 10 to 14 days, while a paper return can take up to 10 to12 weeks.
- Increased security – fewer people see your information.
- Get more or owe less – e-filing software may suggest credits and deductions you might not have known about.
- Better accuracy – electronic returns have a 2 percent error rate versus 20 percent for tax returns filed on paper.
The department is here to help during tax season. If you have any questions regarding your individual income tax return, contact the department at (317) 232-2240 or visit www.in.gov/dor/3392.htm . Also, you can access us via email. Visit our Contact Us webpage at www.in.gov/dor/3325.htm for the email address, and additional phone numbers.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017